Monday 11 November 2013

Actors interviews- Paranormal Activity

This interview involves the actors from the film horror series, 'Paranormal Activity', which this interview is the first of the series. The actors being interviewed in this clip are the two main characters of the film, Micah Sloat and Katie Featherston. 

The interview states that the film had no written script throughout any of the filming. This shows how well the characters had to be so the film would be very realistic as the had to react to the stimulus as though it was happening in real life. This Suggests that I need actors which would concentrate and can portray a character which I give them. Also, involving no written script was very effective as the actors can react to the scary events as they would react to them themselves. This could make my opening scene very effective as the actors would be able to adapt and create an atmosphere of them actually being in this situation. 

They also say that they were filming in 'all hours of the night', which obviously follow the conventions of a horror as usually the scary and frightening part happens during the night or dark places. This suggests that the lighting and what time of day you film, can affect the atmosphere, motif, and how the shot comes across to the audience. I will have to ensure the lighting would reflect the atmosphere, which I would like to be shown to the audience in my opening scene. 

Having the scary effects happen to the actors without them actually knowing, allows the actors to give a real reaction to the scary events, which made the film very realistic. This could be could to use in my opening scene as it would make the scene feel more realistic and this would come across as being realistic to the audience who are watching the scene too.

This interview also says that there it was more of an exhilarating fear, which is similar to what was said in the Insidious Interview, which is located further down the page from this blog. They both involve the use of trying to make the horror more tradition instead of including blood splattering scenes and the use of violent dismantlement's of bodies. I will definitely take this into account as this is becoming a more reoccurring trend of having more of a paranormal/non-gore side to the film compared to bloody scenes. 

Katie says that they filmed alternate endings, which may not apply to our task, but does refer to taking different scenes and shots. This is important because it allows the editor to pick which shot or scene is better than another which was taken. This also tells me that it may take a long time to actually make my film opening shot, but being patient will definitely give me a shot which would be ideal for my scene. For my opening scene, I will be taking different camera shot and angles of a scene so I can ensure that I produce a perfect opening scene for my target audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment